Skip to content

Mark John Tredwell (1856-1930)

Mark John Tredwell
Mark John Tredwell

A Colourful Character!

Mark John (son of Solomon and Alice – born Dec 13th 1856) became a Ward of his uncle William Pickering at the age of 2 after his father`s death in 1859.  On his mother`s death and in her Will on August 5th 1867 when Mark was 10 Alice made provision for him to attend Harrow School when it was deemed Mark was fit, possibly at the age of 15, and after that to Cambridge.  It appears he had been a sickly and unhealthy child. There is record of his attendance at Cheam School in 1871, and then Harrow Jan. 1872 to Easter 1873. No mention is made of attendance at Cambridge as had been his mother`s wish. There is a marriage in April 1875 to Clara Jessie Mary Ward Thurlow where Mark states he is 21 (he was 18).  In 1876 there is a divorce and a legal case stating that Clara was already married to Frederick Wentworth Gray,  a comedian.

In 1881 Mark appears living with his ‘mother-in-law’ Caroline Smith (General`s widow) in Hove, Sussex, along with his ‘wife’  Daisy (Caroline Alice Smith – no record of this marriage) and 3 children, Patty (2), Daisy (1) and ‘infant’ boy 2 days. On Patty`s birth certificate (dob 4th June 1878) there is no father named and Caroline Alice Smith is the mother, residence Aberllolwyn, Wales. The infant was Mark Tredwell Smith born 2 April 1881, died a few months later, mother Caroline Alice Smith of St Aubyn`s Hove. Patty and Daisy both died of diphtheria in October 1885 (both named as Tredwell and living at 10 Epple Terrace, Fulham). There is a death for Alice Caroline Edgar Smith at 8 Chesilton Road, Fulham 1888.  Alice`s mother, Caroline, had the misfortune to be ‘present at death’ for her daughter and granddaughters. So it appears that MJ had moved to Aberlollwyn by late 1877/1878, and I wonder whether this is where he met Caroline Alice Smith or did they move there together?  I did obtain Caroline Smith`s marriage certificate which stated her name as Matilda Caroline Croft marrying Sir Charles Felix Smith. Her father was Robert Croft. (refer to Alice Croft below).

The following information is a combination of researches carried out between myself and those members of the ‘other’ Tredwell line who have been trying to connect Solomon Tredwell and his family with their John and Maria. Some years ago a Dr Richard Phillips wrote the following after extensive research in the Aberllolwyn area, and it seems a shame not to include such detail here.

‘At the southern tip of the Pumlumon Range lies Llyn Eiddwen, an upland lake of about 30 acres, roughly equidistant at 15 miles from the three small townships of Tregaron, Aberaeron and Aberystwyth in Dyfed.  This upland area called Mynydd Bach is known historically for its Enclosure riots of the early years of the 19th century and for its open air prayer meetings conducted annually since the 1904 revival.  Mynydd Bach rises to1200 feet at its highest point, and two centuries ago it extended to nearly 6,000 acres, owned by the Crown and used as Common Grazings for sheep and ponies.  But through purchases from the Crown and encroachments it is now only about 300 acres in extent.  It is renowned for its wonderful panoramic views and has attracted tourists for many years.

The outlet of the lake at its south-eastern extremity is a channel which takes its overflowing waters to form the source of the River Aeron.  Opposite the outlet in a westerly direction lies a small island of rock and mud of about an acre in extent.  It is surrounded by a man-made dry-stone wall and within that walling are the ruins of a stone built tower and other buildings.  By an odd state of affairs, the parishes of Blaenpennal, Llanrhystud and Llangwyryfon meet together on the island and the boundary of Lledrod parish is not far distant either.

The ruins on the island, now approaching a hundred years old and sometimes referred to as Castle or Folly, were built to the requirements of a rich young Englishman from London as recently as 1879.  His name was Mark John Tredwell and he was the son of Solomon Tredwell and his wife (nee Pickering), of the senior members of a firm of ironmongers and railway contractors from north Staffordshire.

In that new railway age, they made a considerable fortune very quickly and Solomon in extending his activities went to India in 1859, but through mischance and misfortune contracted dysentry and died before the end of the year, leaving a substantial fortune to his two children and many jewels to his wife. He was a man of considerable influence and a memorial service was held in Leeke to him and the sermon printed for distribution in January 1860.  Mark John was brought up by his mother and later his grandmother who spoilt him.  When he came of age at 21 he inherited his fortune and for some unknown reason, apart from health, he moved from London to the extremely popular health resort at that time on the shores of Cardigan Bay, namely Aberystwyth, which had been connected by rail in the early 1860s to Shrewsbury and London.  He stayed at the newly built Queen`s Hotel (now the County Offices) and shortly afterwards obtained a 21 years lease of a small mansion called Aberllolwyn, three miles to the south of Aberystwyth.  As a rich young English gentleman, he soon became a favourite with the local cronies for he was generous in the extreme and lavish with his favours.  But he left no diaries nor documents.  It was only on his marriage certificate that I ever saw his signature.  He is referred to in the local papers of those days for the misbehaviour of his servants, and for his offers to the Town Council of a fire engine and a life boat.  He even proposed to recruit a children`s cavalry troop with Shetland ponies to fight mock battles with his hired “red-coats” on Mynydd Bach.

At Aberlollwyn, his leasehold home, he carried out fantastic improvements in an addition to the house, a new sewerage scheme and a fresh water supply, a swimming pool and stables.  In these operations he employed a local firm of plumbers, decorators and contractors.  The subsequent court proceedings show that he was somewhat unstable and demanded the redecoration of various rooms when the colouring displeased his fleeting fancies.  His odd behaviour led to unnecessary costs which eventually spelt his ruin.  It is not known how he became acquainted with Llyn Eiddwen and why he proposed to build a summer house on the little island on the lake in 1879.  There are no records at the Crown Offices to indicate permission to purchase. He employed local labour and there was no dissatisfaction, for the island provided very little grazing for sheep or cattle.  It was he who provided the necessary funds to quarry the stones and transfer them to the builders on the site.  Horses and carts transported the stones to the loading stage and transferred them into a boat, then rowed them across the hundred yards or so to the landing stage and manhandled once again to the masons at work.  The workers were also carried by boat across to the island night and morning.

His many friends and visitors were taken from the livery stables of the Queen`s Hotel at his expense and then rowed across to wonder at the new structure.  In all it can be reckoned that more than a thousand loads of stone were taken across as well as loads of lime, sand, timber and all other requirements.  He also built wooden huts and houses for stores and accommodation, and although it was not completed, yet several orgy parties were held at the Castle during the late summer of 1879 in which several local women served the guests.

The many heavy contractors bills began to arrive and although he paid the first instalments without demur, he was advised by someone to dispute the last £600.  Subsequently court proceedings were instituted against him, but he persevered with his objections to the Exchequer Court, in London, which lasted 25 days and his 25 witnesses had to be kept at his expense in London.  The total costs of the court proceedings during 1880 amounted to an enormous sum and there was nothing to do but sell his assets at Aberllolwyn and in 1881 four disposal sales were held.

Looking through the lists of the lots it is difficult to realise how he had acquired all that there was for sale.  A monkey and a bear were offered, a great variety of exotic fowls, garden plants and recently built huts which had been used to accommodate his guests.  One sale was arranged to sell the residue of his 21 years lease of Aberllolwyn (17 years) but there are no records to show the result.  The farm sale had the usual lots of cattle, stores and implements, and the previous one the household furniture which included again expensive items from London.  By the end of the year Mark John had left Aberystwyth and he had no friends left.’

The castle or folly, was abandoned, and gradually deteriorated with the help of vandals and encroachers of property.  All that was moveable and valuable was taken away to fit some other building.  His name hardly survives in local lore, and the bare tradition of his lavish days only remain in the minds in the oldest tier of the local people.  His name went with his departure and it is difficult to assess his position.  Indeed Mark John Tredwell may have been the last of the squatters or the first of the tourists.’

Dr Phillips had also managed to find a ledger of the Livery Stables of the Queen`s Hotel at that time wherein the name of Mark John Tredwell appears on a number of pages during the years 1878, 79 and 80, although during most of that period he lived in Aberllolwyn. ‘The first entry was made on December 23 1878 when a Mr Cooke was provided with a horse to visit the Pool and was charged 18/6d. and the last entry on November 12 1880 referred to the hire of a pair of horse to go to the Railway Station at the cost of 10/6d.  Over the whole period of 98 weeks his livery costs amounted to £153.1.9d. or a weekly average of 31/3d. which at first sight does not appear to be extravagant, although it was actually less than 98 weeks as he was away for periods.  It should be reiterated that these livery charges do not include those of the Hotel.  During the last week of 1878 Dec. 23-30 Mark John Tredwell made hirings every day except on Christmas Day and the total cost during that time amounted to £5.5.6d  This sum included taking Mr Cooke to the Pool (18/6d.) on Dec. 23rd and again on the 24th from Aberllolwyn to the station.  On the 24th also Mr Gibbs went to Aberllolwyn (7/6d/) and on the 26th to Glandyfi (18/6d/) and again to Aberllolwyn on the 27th (10/-) a total of £1.16.0d.  On the 28th December a horse and trap was hired by Tredwell to send the heifer home (18/6d) and on the 29th to take Mr Pickering to Tanyrallt (10/-)Also on the 29th Dec. Mr Gibbs went to Aberllolwyn (7/6d) and again on the 30th to the same place (5/-).

It is thus obvious that towards the end of 1878 that he invited relatives and friends, etc. to have Christmas with him at Aberllolwyn.  Mr Pickering was his uncle William as his mother`s brother.’

Dr Phillips goes on:

Apart from the local stories, recollection, hearsays there is no documentary evidence of Tredwell`s activities during his four year stay at Aberllolwyn near Aberystwyth.  But there are several references to him in the local papers of those days for the four years 1878-1881 namely the Aberystwyth Observer and the Cambrian News.  This chapter deals with those references which have been found. I am indebted to Mr Gwilym Jones, Aberaeron for giving me the first clues to these quotations, which prove that he resided at Aberllolwyn from 1878-1881 or more correctly during parts of those years.

From an advertisement in the Cambrian News of the sale of the remainder of his lease of Aberllolwyn on March 1st 1881 it seems that he obtained a 21 years lease on 25th March 1878 and lived there (off and on) till he finally left four year later.  He may have been a tenant of the mansion since 1876 as shown in Mr Denys Evans` list, but the lease for 21 years in 1878 implies that he intended to remain in residence there until 1899 as his permanent home.  The next reference to him are in connection with his servants in Aberllolwyn for on 21st September 1878 it is reported that a groom named Baker, employed at Aberllolwyn, fell from his horse at Southgate (Penpareau) and was badly hurt.  The newspaper reports “On 20th Sept, between 2-3pm a groom of Mr Tredwell Aberllolwyn, named Baker fell from a horse he was riding just outside Southgate and received a severe scalp wound 2″ long.  He was attended by Dr J M Jones”.  Also on November 2nd in the same year, another groom Thomas Richards employed at Aberllolwyn came before the local magistrates on a charge of drunkenness.  The newspaper reports:-

“Thomas Richards, groom at Aberllolwyn, Llanychaiarn was charged with being drunk whilst in charge of a horse and cart at Aberystwyth.  Defendant did not appear.  P C 20 proved the case, and stated that defendant was driving furiously round the corner of Terrace Road and North Parade and not giving enough room to turn, the trap tipped over and the wheel was broken in two”.  The defendant having been dismissed by his employer Mr M J Tredwell was fined only five shillings.

There was a cellar in Aberllolwyn and plenty of beer in the numerous public houses in Aberystwyth and in those days someone under the charge of drunkenness appeared regularly before the Magistrates.  However, Mark John in this instance took a marked exception to this lapse on the part of the groom and sacked him.  As far as can be gathered, no further reports have been discovered of any of his servants appearing before the Magistrates.  But in November 16 1878 issue of the Observer “there had been a sensation in the town when Mr Tredwell brought down with him one of Doughalls patent Rubber Lifeboats which he is to use for the shooting of wild fowl.  It is a capital contrivance and packs into a very small compass”.  This is the first instance of extravagance by Mr Tredwell in Aberystwyth in his first year of residence at Aberllolwyn (1878). But it is the forerunner of many other instances in 1879 and that year appears to be his most expensive and extravagant of the four years.

On 29th March 1979 the Observer states that “Mr M J Tredwell of Aberllolwyn, who has just returned from a continental tour, has brought with him a couple of Egyptians (not bonds).  On Wednesday one of them ‘did’ the town, being followed by a large but admiring crowd of youngsters to whom the sight of an Egyptian in the picturesque garb of his country was a great novelty.  We are given to understand, with what truth we cannot say, that Mr Tredwell intends importing a number of Shetland ponies for the use of a troop of boy cavalry to drill with his infantry regiment.  It is not at all a bad idea as it will give the youngsters a good drilling and also provide for them many a happy hour`s amusement.  Cannot Mr Tredwell be persuaded to form a Company of volunteers in the town?”.  Since then in local lore the Egyptians have become either Arabs or black Negroes.  The above story also indicates that on occasions Tredwell travelled overseas.  Local tradition provides plenty of instances of his company of infantry practising the art of soldiering around Aberllolwyn and even in the wilds of Mynydd Bach.  On May 10th 1879 there appears a notification in the Observer under the title “Proposed Volunteer Corps” at Aberystwyth.

“there is a proposal on foot to form a deputation which shall wait upon Mr M J Tredwell of Aberllolwyn to request him to accept the captaincy of a corps of volunteers to be raised at Aberystwyth and neighbourhood.  It is anticipated that in the event of Mr Tredwell acquiescing in the appliction, a memorial to the war office will be well received and considered.  It is generally thought that Mr Tredwell will make an excellent officer and one who would spare neither trouble nor expense in making the corps efficient. There would be no lack of suitable persons to act as lieutenants, ensigns etc. it is not likely to tail”.

The next report of Tredwell`s activities came in the Observer on 12th July 1879 under the heading “A steam launch for the Mountains”. “On Tuesday a number of persons were attracted to the station by the news that a steam launch was lying there on a truck awaiting removal to a pool on Mr Tredwell`s estate, the pool being situated on the adjacent mountain.  The launch is very small but is well built and is capable of carrying 4 or 5 persons in addition to the engineer”.  This may be the launch which the Rev. Tom Beynon describes in the opening chapter on Mark John; he describes how 20 horses were hired to haul the steam launch to Llyn Eiddwen.  I presume they also brought coal from the station to make the fire to produce steam in the boiler to drive the engine.  There is no local tradition that there ever was a steam launch on Llyn Eiddwen – it was either taken away again or sunk in the fresh waters of this upland lake.

The next occasion and probably the greatest fiasco of all appears in both the local papers on the 9th august in the Observer and in the following weeks’ issue (Aug.15) of the Cambrian News.  It is concerned with a Sunday School treat when Mr Tredwell invited the Wesleyan Sunday School from Aberystwyth to enjoy a day or at any rate an afternoon in the grounds of Aberllolwyn.  The report, under the heading “School Treat” proceeds as follows:- “On Tuesday the Wesleyan Sunday School children, by permission of Mr Tredwell had their annual treat in the grounds of Aberllolwyn.  The day was the most wretched that we have had during the year, bad as the weather had been previously.  The rain came down almost without stop from early morning till late at night.  Notwithstanding this, had the managers of the treat done as much for the excursionists as Mr Tredwell did, a passable day`s enjoyment might have been obtained.  In the shape of amusements Mr Tredwell had spared neither pains or expense to provide for all wants.  Had the Wesleyans done as much in the refreshment department, grumbles would not have found so much of which to complain.  As it was, complaints were made on all sides, that no food was to be had and many grown up persons and children were heard to complain that all they had for their money was a ride that under ordinary circumstances, they might have had for eight pence.  A number of children said they could only get half a bun each but of the ginger beer and lemonade provided by Mr Tredwell, they could have plenty.  doubtless the movers in the holiday thought, but why is there no reason given that Mr Tredwell would provide eatables for the several thousand persons expected to be present? 

What Mr. Tredwell did, he did well, as a proof we may mention that he engaged the Town Band and a company of Christy Minstrels for the occasion and in order to accommodate those present he had the billiard room emptied of its contents and the table, a very massive one taken into pieces and removed.  In addition to this he provided merry-go-rounds, fireworks, badminton, lawn tennis, skittles, swings etc. at great cost to himself.  The admission tickets were unique, being a portrait of Mr Tredwell with the words “Aberllolwyn Pass” underneath. Captain Markham, winner of Doggetts coat and badge, officiated as ticket taker at the luncheon tent.

The account in the Cambrian News on August 15, 1879 was much the same as that in the Observer but a little more precise. “When it became known in the town that Mr Tredwell was about to throw open his house at Aberllolwyn to the Wesleyan Sunday School on Tuesday, August 5th (in view of Bank Holiday Monday Aug 4th) a large number of people not connected with the Sunday School made up their minds to attend,…………Mr Tredwell with the generosity for which he is so well known in the neighbourhood made the excursion more attractive by providing in a large field, lawn tennis, badminton, cricket, fireworks, a troop of Christy`s Minstrels, a shooting gallery, a steam driven roundabout which had stayed on till the Tuesday for pecuniary considerations”. “Tuesday was a day of fires indoors and Ulsters and overcoats outdoors and not open air sports – indeed postponement would have been better.  Rain came in torrents all morning and the children were brought by the M & M train to Llanrhystud Road station.  The tickets issued by the School, bore upon the faces the words “railway fare and refreshments” and cost eighteen pence each.  Many went by the 2.30pm train and remained until 5pm or 10.30 trains but they could not get anything to eat for love or money and to make matters worse the evening train did not arrive in Aberystwyth till 1am. The fireworks supplied by Brookes cost over £60 and Mr Tredwell spared no expense.”  The two local papers agree on the fiasco and it becomes obvious in retrospect that people were prepared to impose undue financial burdens on Mr Tredwell.

There are only two further publicity news about Mr Mark John Tredwell in the local papers for 1879.  In the Observer 1st Nov. under the title “Generosity” there follows:- “Mr M J Tredwell, Aberllolwyn we understand has ordered a fire engine for the borough of Aberystwyth and intends defraying the largest part of its cost, about £300.  Negotiations are on foot for a site on which to build a house wherein to keep the fire engine.  Mr Tredwell has received promises of several sources of money towards defraying part of its cost.  Those who have previously promised subscriptions towards this object have now a chance of spending their money”.  The quotation explains itself and the Aberystwyth Observer was always prepared to exploit the extravagance of this wealthy young man.  But from later evidence the fire engine never arrived.  The last extract for 1879 is in the issue of Nov. 20 of the Observer under the heading “Sport at Aberllolwyn”.  “Cardiganshire has much to be thankful for.  A gentleman recently arranged a shooting party near Aberllolwyn and killed no fewer than 67 quails in some marshy land and he wishes to know whether he had not been unusually fortunate”.  The Daily Telegraph in referring to this incident adds:- “In addition to the large number of quails bagged, a bear was shot in Aberllolwyn wood on Tuesday of last week.  This is supposed to be the only bear killed in the Welsh woods for many generations.  Some hundreds of rats and pigeons have also met with their death here recently”.

The year 1879 was a very high spending year by Mr Tredwell and he squandered lavishly at Aberllolwyn and Aberystwyth and although there is hardly a word so far about his activities on Mynydd Bach, as will be seen later, this was probably the year when the idea of the castle in the lake was mooted with subsequent preparations for its construction, as well as the stories about the manoeuvres with his private army on Mynydd Bach became authentic.  Despite the presence of this rich young man in or near Aberystwyth in those early years of the young University College of Wales (established 1872) no one seems to have approached him for a subscription towards the expenses when the funds were particularly low.  The fact that his name was more closely associated with orgies rather than with religion and culture may have accounted for this lapse on the part of the College authorities.  I am assured that his name does not appear in any files or on any subscriptions lists of the College.  Thus the year 1879 came to an end when the lavish flow of the Tredwell funds began to slow down – indeed it closed down entirely.’

1880 appears to have been the turning point and realisation of his spending. The Court case with the firm of T & W Bubb (plumbers, painters and decorators) culminated in a very expensive result. An account of nearly £2,000 had been submitted by them and whereas the first 2 instalments of about £600 were settled, the third was disputed intensively. Messrs Bubb took court action and went from Court to Court winning all along the line but sadly by the time the case reached the Queen`s Bench, Exchequer Division, London, the two brothers had died and it was their widows who finally fought the case, and won.

Cari`s note – In July 2008 I visited Aberllolwyn and called up the present owner of the Hall who was only too willing to show me around.  I also tried unsuccessfully due to the terrain to access the ‘Castle on the Lake’ which of course is now a ruin and was only able to view it from a distance.

Meanwhile,  on 31st July 1883 a son was born to Alice Croft in Bowness, Ambleside whom she named Tredwell, but no mention of a father.   According to the census for 1891 there is a Mark Tredwell  (age 6 and born in Windermere) living in Ifield Road, Kensington, London with his grandparents Jas. (Riding Master School) and Caroline Croft.  On looking back to the 1881 census at the same address there is Alice (age 18) living at home with her parents James (Riding Master and Instructor) and Caroline and her brother Harry (age 15).  I feel it is fairly safe to deduce that Tredwell  born 1883 in Ambleside is the same as Mark Tredwell in the later census.   In 1901 Mark (now Croft and age 17) is living in Chesson Road, Fulham still with his grandparents James and Caroline.  Mark is described as a greengrocer.  On 19th November 1910 there is a marriage for Mark Tredwell (age 26) and Maud Louisa Brooks (age 22) at the Register Office, Fulham.  According to the certificate Mark was a chauffeur and living at Chesson Road, Fulham, but more importantly his father is named as Mark John Tredwell.  No trace can be found of Alice Croft after the birth of her son in 1883 but some years ago Muriel Tredwell, daughter of Mark and Maud, had managed to locate Arlette Lammens the daughter of Enid (see below) because at that stage Muriel had been trying to discover the identity of her grandmother.  Muriel had intimated that she thought Mark John, and son Mark`s mother might have travelled to America.  Just to confuse matters further, there is a birth record for a Patty Tredwell on the 16 November 1884 in Elgin County, Ontario, Canada with parents Mark John Tredwell and Alice Croft.  Sadly on further investigation into the Elgin Genealogical website there is a death record for Patty Tredwell on 25th November 1885 and burial 27 November (no monument) in Trinity Anglican Cemetery, Port Burwell, Bayham Township, Elgin county. Unfortunately no further record of Alice.  Coincidentally, the ‘first’ Patty Tredwell died in England in October 1885.  Mark John and son it seems returned at some stage before 1891. Did Alice remain in America?  The research into Alice`s father James Croft shows that his father was Robert Croft and he had a sister Matilda Caroline!  This makes his daughter Alice and ‘Daisy’ in Aberllolwyn and Hove first cousins!

12th June 1888 Mark John married again to Mercedes de la Quintana. Mercedes was born in Liverpool and was the daughter of the Peruvian Consul General Manual de la Quintana. Mark and Mercedes had a son Mark Eric (b. 1889 Shanklin, Isle of Wight), and daughter Beatrice (b. Sorrento, Italy Oct. 8th, 1893).  In the 1891 census Mark Eric is age 2 and living with his widowed maternal grandmother Matilda de la Quintana in Brighton along with his uncles Louis and Carlos. In 1901 Mark John is in Samos Road, Camberwell, Mercedes is in Hammersmith possibly visiting her brother Carlos who is a boarder there. Mark Eric now 11 and Beatrice aged 7 are with their grandmother and Uncle Domingo Luis in 1 Portland Road, Aldrington, Hove, Sussex. 

Mercedes died September 13th, 1927 in the Radcliffe Infirmary Oxford although her Will dated 2 days before she died stated her residence as 84 Warwick Street, London SW1, and Mark John died 17 January 1930 at 46 Ouseley Road, Balham, Surrey although his address was given as 17a Mandalay Road, South side, Clapham Common. In his Will, dated 17th September 1919 it indicates that he then lived at 64 Abbeville Road, Clapham.

In Mercedes` Will her property (£87) was left to her daughter Bambina and to her grand-daughter Molly Heath in equal shares, and various other bits and pieces to members of the Quintana family.  Mark left all his assets (£107) to his daughter Enid Tredwell.  So questions at this stage had been – were ‘Bambina’ and ‘Enid’ one and the same person? Did Bambina marry someone named Heath and have a daughter Molly? What happened to Beatrice? 

In 1911 Mark Eric travelled to Canada and on the ships`s passenger list (SS MEGANTIC) his occupation is auctioneer and his destination was Clive, Alberta.  He bought land in Lacombe, Alberta but joined up at the start of WW1.   He was of Canadian nationality and was a Sergeant in the Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regt. 50th Bn). He was wounded in France, admitted to hospital in Sheffield where he met a Red Cross Nurse, Constance Mary Bates and they were subsequently married 1st March 1917 at the Parish Church, Hastings.  He returned to battle with an unhealed wound and was killed on 10th August 1918. The Cemetery is the Vimy Memorial. The citation states he was the son of Mark John and Mercedes Tredwell and husband of Constance Mary formerly Bates.

I have had the copy of the ship`s passenger list for quite some time and only recently (April 2008) decided to follow up the ‘Clive’ lead. Little did I know or anticipate the revelation this would provide! By carrying out an internet search for Clive I came across the website for the village and duly made contact asking if there might be any trace of any Tredwells in the area around that time.  Within a very short time Ferne Gudnason, the lady from the Clive Village website, along with Karen Kane her colleague, had taken up the challenge and found the following entry in “Wagon Trails to Hard Top: History of Lacombe and Area” which was published in the 1970’s –


Mr Heath came to Alberta from England before the first World War, he enlisted in Calgary when the war broke out, with the Calgary Light Horse (now the Calgary Tanks) and served overseas.  He was mentioned in dispatches during the war.

He returned to Canada following the war and bought the N.W.6-40-27 in 1920.  In 1921 Mr Heath married Beatrice Tredwell, who came to the Woody Nook district directly from London, England.  This land had been owned by Mrs. Heaths’ brother, Eric Tredwell, who bought it before the war, from Mr. Meinzinger.

Ernie Heath built a five roomed house for his bride and also put up other buildings.  The next year he bought another quarter – N.E.6-40-27 from Harley Gibbons.  In the early days a family named King lived on this place in a log house.

In 1926 Mr Heath moved the house and other buildings to the N.E. quarter.  It was put on skids in the early spring and twenty-four horses were used to pull it, while the snow was still on the ground.  Mrs Heath, with  her family, remained in the house while it was being moved.

Conditions were very different in this new country from what Beatrice Heath had been accustomed to in the city of London.  However, she quickly adjusted to the change and learned to cook and do all the things expected of those pioneer women.

Mr and Mrs Heath took part in all community affairs while they lived in the district.  Mrs Heath wrote a weekly column for the Lacombe globe under the name of ‘Bridget’ for many years, while Ernie was the Junior U.F.A. leader, president of the Lacombe Branch of the Canadian Legion and secretary of Woody Nook School District for a number of years.  He also took an active interest in politics.  In 1942 they left the farm and moved to Calgary.  Ernie joined the Air Force during the 2nd war, serving in Canada

There are two daughters in the family – Molly, now Mrs Ernie Weir of Calgary and Betty, Mrs A Murray of Richmond B.C.  Molly has a family of five and Betty has two children.

Mr and Mrs Heath now reside in Parksville B.C. and celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1971.

N.E. 6-40-27 Title issued to Jno. Roberts in 1905’

So one puzzle was solved in that Molly was definitely the daughter of Beatrice who had obviously married Ernie Heath, and from then on things really took off.  This was of course much more than we (Lawrence Lammens (see below) and I) could possibly have hoped for.   Ferne then proceeded to put in a lot of hard work and finally managed to locate Betty (Bunny) Murray in B.C.  who was totally amazed and thrilled to discover she had living relatives.  Bunny also confirmed that her mother Beatrice was also known as Bambina and that her father, Ernie, had known her mother “since she was 7 ½”!

Beatrice died in 1978 and Ernie 1979 in Calgary, Alberta.  Their ashes were laid at Parksville.   Karen Kane then announced she was coincidentally going on a trip to Parksville and very kindly took photos of the gravestone and the church – St Annes

So returning to the 1901 census, Mark John is at Samos Road, Penge in the district of Camberwell together with Florence (29) and Enid (2) Rowlie/Roulie? and also May Saxby? 18.  The other residents of the house in the 1901 census along with Mark John have always puzzled me as I have never been able to read the writing or locate these people previously.  However,  this was solved with the tremendously exciting contact I  had at the beginning of the year (2008) through this site (something I`ve always hoped for) from Mark John`s grandson Lawrence Mark Lammens, brother of Arlette mentioned above, who enlightens me that whereas I thought it was Rowlie or Roulie, it is in fact Rooke and Enid was his mother.  Enid had married Armand Lammens. Lawrence and I have had great fun corresponding and have managed to solve a few mysteries and puzzles between us, but there still remain some unanswered questions.  Lawrence relates –   “Enid lived her early years with MJ and her mother Ethel Florence Rooke and she was well cared for by both parents and was always known as Miss Tredwell. Unfortunately MJ’s “roving eye” caused the couple to separate, Florence leaving MJ and her daughter.  After 6 months Enid rejoined Florence who married Samuel Radmore Clampit on Dec 23rd 1912.  Contact was maintained between all parties. Enid was VAD with Red Cross. She met Armand Charles Lammens, (a Belgian refugee in London) during WW1, at their common place of work in London. In 1915 Armand joined the Belgian Army and was wounded at the Front in April 1918 but survived the War and subsequently returned to London where he married Enid at Clapham on Jan 3Oth 1922.  They had two children. She lived the rest of her life in Belgium where she was very active in “upholding the flag” for what was known as the “British colony and it’s Church” in her adoptive country, and for these efforts she was awarded the honour of an MBE.  She died in Belgium November 13th 1983 and was buried on her 85th birthday. Florence died in 1955 and her husband Samuel in 1941 they had no children.”